Intensification and Need for Boundary Expansion
The City of Hamilton professional planning staff department recommended expansion land need, at approximately 1,340 ha, equates to 1.5% of the City’s total rural land area. The remaining 98.5% of the City’s rural lands will remain outside of the urban boundary as part of Rural Hamilton. As such, the proposed expansion is not sprawl, but rather an opportunity for carefully and sustainably planned development. By decade, under the Ambitious Density scenario, the required intensification units are:
- 17,700 (2021 – 2031)
- 22,200 (2031 – 2041)
- 26,300 (2041 – 2051)
In comparison, over the last 10 years between 2010 and 2019, the City experienced a total of 8,260 intensification units.